Get more Living in your inbox
Sign up to Living-news to receive top tips and inspirational contentSubscribe
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people
can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has”
- MARGARET MEED
As the old proverb goes, give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime.
And it’s this philosophy that attracted us to partner with OKE Charity, who’s moto is ‘growing mighty kids’. OKE provides primary school aged children with the opportunity to learn life and social skills by introducing productive/living gardens into their school.
They believe that by arming children with essential tools and life skills, they are empowering the children, schools and communities now and into the future.
When looking for a way to give back to the local Waiata Shores community, Jane Bennett (Stakeholder and Engagement Manager for Fletcher Living) was excited about the opportunity of working with OKE at Conifer Grove Primary (Waiata Shores local school).
And so it was, that a team of 20 Fletcher Living staff joined forces with OKE at Conifer Grove School on Tuesday 22nd September, to help support the school and move OKE one step closer to achieving their goal of establishing a living garden in every primary school in South Auckland.
Our CEO, Steve Evans, and our CFO, Rodney Deacon, turned out to be exceptionally handy on the tools and took the lead on the construction of 12 planter boxes. Others dug holes, planted trees, planted vegetable and fruit gardens, built a greenhouse, constructed shelves, transported soil and had a fabulous time doing it. And, we are pleased to say, we broke the time record for completing a full day’s work in just four hours.
Conifer Grove’s garden was the 14th garden to be completed by OKE and fourth this year (the most they have ever done in one year). 10,000 Kiwi kids now have access to an outdoor space to learn and grow!
For more information on OKE and how you can help, please visit https://www.oke.org.nz
Fletcher Living Privacy Collection Statement
Fletcher Living will collect and use the personal details you submit or we otherwise collect about you, to provide information on our homes, developments, services and other related purposes.
By submitting this form, you agree to Fletcher Living using your personal information, including names, contact details, registration of your interest in a property and survey results, to send you information to promote its homes, developments and services. You may opt out from receiving further Fletcher Living information from time to time.
• to send communications requested by you;
• answering enquiries and providing information about our products or services;
• entering you into a registration of interest database and/or ballot process if applicable;
• maintaining the content of our website;
• updating our records and keeping your details up to date;
• for our internal business processing, administrative, marketing and planning requirements; and
• for other purposes provided for under any agreement with you or disclosed at the time of collection.
We may disclose your personal information to:
• our employees, related entities, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operating of our business, including information management and electronic storage in other jurisdictions, fulfilling your requests or to provide services and offerings to you;
• suppliers and third parties we have commercial relationships with, and for business, marketing and related purposes; and
• other organisations for purposes authorised with your consent.